Wednesday, May 27

Lady Justice: I have a Dream!



"Let us not wallow in the valley of despair, I say to you today, my friends.

And so even though we face the difficulties of everyone saying a justice should be confirmed simply because of her race and sex, I still have a dream. It is a dream deeply rooted in the American dream.

I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal."

I have a dream that one day on Capital Hill, the sons of sixties radicals and the sons of former racists will be able to sit down together at a confirmation hearing and be blind to race.

I have a dream that one day even the Supreme Court that tortures the definition of blind equality with affirmative action will be transformed into an oasis of freedom and justice.

I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be voted for or appointed by the color of their skin but by their character and qualifications.

I have a dream today!"

0 Comments: